Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sorting yourself out in Mumbai...

Right, sorting yourself out in Mumbai. Firstly, I don't want anyone to properly take what I write as factual, it's just what has happened to me. Also don't really listen to anybody absolutely literally, as people in the 'west' especially are really paranoid about India. Just get here and you will love it! Also learn for yourself! For me that's one of the main things of travelling! But trains anyway... As I have quickly learnt, always check the time, date, platform, train number, arrival/departure, everything printed on the ticket. Especially check the outward date. I bought a ticket the other day and just looked properly at it yesterday... It stated my departure date was 23rd of March when I am amost 100% sure that I said I wanted to leave for Trivandrum in Kerala on the 11th March. But don't worry, I tried not to anyways! the best way is to go to Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (Mumbai CST) and just cancel your ticket. The cancellation fee will cost Rs 40, I don't quite understand why as it's their mistake but anyway, that's like 60 pence. This is for the long journey trains. Also get buses everywhere when in the city if you don't want to walk. It costs Rs4-8 per journey. Trains are great as well but busy, and if your unsure about the platform number ask anybody. Well not anybody but someone who looks approachable. They will be really happy to help. Note to keep your elbows close to your sides as the trains are ridiculously crowded, and people elbow you in the ribs when getting on and off, it reminds me of a rugby scrum. But the trains are absolutely fine and it's like Rs8 for a journey an hour out of the city centre.
There is loads to do in Mumbai. It's like the major cosmopolitan city of India. From glitzy Bollywood to high-end cocktails bars, there is a city rapidly growing, and the apparent poverty screams that you are in a very apparent developing India and not some city in Europe. Home seems a long way away! I have been here over a week now and still have bearly seen anything... Don't be too phased by the sheer numbers of people commuting in and out of the city. Get stuck right in to city life and Mumbai will be a much more enjoyable place. The food here is out of this world... Generally eat anywhere, unless it's a really dirty looking food stall, and so far I have found food stalls to be better, fresher and easier to eat at than restaurants.
That's really about it! You can easily learn for yourself. It's the most incredible city I have ever been to, no wonder there are adverts saying 'Incredible India' on black taxis in the UK, it really seems to be the word to suit this place! I love it...

No comments:

Post a Comment