Sunday, March 14, 2010

43 hour train journey to paradise...

I have just really started my proper travels in India now after arriving in southern Kerala, in a place called Kovalam. It's beautiful, and quiet also I seem to be able to breathe easier compared to that in Mumbai! But it was a long way down... The train took 43 hours, but was so interesting. Gazing for hours out of the window in distant parts of Andra Pradesh, Karnataka and Kerala at the people who just live off the land, cut off from the major cities around them. Just going about their business ploughing fields pulled by oxen, carrying buckets of water on their heads then heading back to there hut made of a wooden structure with a sort of matted hay for the walls for a cup of chai. It really made me think we have so much we don't really need in the UK such as the latest gadgets and this and that. However, it makes us feel comfortable. Just in my bag I had more with me than everyone in my carriage put together! But I do I need everything? I think yes, I need all these t-shirts and these vests and this many pairs of underwear and paracetamol tablets. But do I really need them? Most probably I would survive without them... To sum up, the train was a long haul but so inspiring and great food coming up and down the carriages every half hour which helped time pass along!

I did feel at one point throwing my bag of the train when it was stationary and trekking up a mountain to see where it took me, but I decided against it. Maybe would have got eaten by a tiger, or died of thirst...

I'm really looking forward to the next couple of weeks and looking forward to seeing what unfolds, what I see and what I learn.

Always keep an open-mind wherever you are!

I've just read this post back to myself and it's a trifle terrible, but really I just want to mong out on the beach from the journey here. Will do better next time! I promise :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment