Thursday, April 8, 2010

I am developing the patience of a saint...

I have been having an amazing time in India recently. I've visitied the ancient ruined templed town of Hampi, seriously relaxed on Paradise Beach in Gokarna and then had a few messy times on the beaches of Goa before returning back to the cosmopolitan vibe of Mumbai. I leave today to carry on exploring this fascinating country. I catch a train to Jaipur in Rajasthan later on tonight which should be fun. I love the trains here, you meet the most amazing people on them, but you need to remember to take your valium!

I feel I'm changing my outlook slightly on the Indian people. They are fantastic, friendly, helpful, confident, industrious and lovable people, but Jesus, some can really test your patience. Especially rickshaw drivers who drive alongside you after a massive train journey saying "Hello sir! Look at me sir! Sir I talk to you, where you want to go?" I class myself a very laid back person most of the time, but the other day I really nearly lost it. I shouted into the pavement "Just leave me the fuck alone! I don't want your rickshaw! I don't want you! I don't need you! Just leave me the fuck alone!" and I actually felt embarassed I'd lashed out, and was quite shocked at myself, it was like I was so tired and not thinking it just came out. He replied with; "But sir, why are you so miserable?" I took a few deep breaths and explained I'd had a 14 hour hot stuffy journey, I knew where I was going and didn't need his help, and to this he replied; "So... where you want to go?" I just trundled off muttering under my breath. I know, I really do know and realise it's his job, and I come across as a white rich man over here and he sees an oppurtunity to make some more money, so why not give it a go? It really made me think you have to put up with a lot here and that's why people hate India when they travel here. It's not easy. In fact, it's never easy. And for this reason it's why I love it. I love the fact of being hassled constantly and hawked and gawked at, it's so different to what I'm used to, and I came here to experience a totally different culture and I really am getting it! I am developing the patience of a saint.

As I go on in my travels I'm learning more and more about Hinduism, and really taking to the concept of it. Hinduism is like a culture within a culture, as is cricket over here. I actually tried to watch an IPL match the ohter day but the tickets had sold out. I was gutted, I probably won't get to see one now as the season finishes soon. Not to worry, it gives me another reason to come back!

I booked my flight back today also. I leave on the 6th June to return to the UK a new person! Well probably just a hairier face and browner body... No, I feel that already I have learnt so much more than what I would learn, and things which I experience everyday here will stay with me throughout my life. But now my flight is booked home I feel my trip has suddenly just got more organised. All my flights are booked now, when before the spontaniety was killing me.

Guy in internet gaff is hassling me to get off - again masses of patience involved. I will write again soon.

I miss you all very much, but not that much. x

No comments:

Post a Comment